What is a WETT inspection?
A visual inspection by a WETT certified technician to determine that there is no evidence of any problem with the wood burning system and is in compliance with existing codes.
Why do I need a WETT inspection?
- To simplify the process of the Home for Sale.
- Having a WETT inspection done before listing a home alerts the homeowner of any potential repairs that may require attention.
- Making any repairs ahead of listing your home avoids having these issues become stumbling blocs when a purchaser submits an offer.
- A favourable WETT inspection report reflects well on the condition of a home and will therefore command a higher price than one that is in need of repair.
- To satisfy the requirements of the insurance company.
- To satisfy the requirements of the mortgage lender.
Many insurance companies in Canada require an inspection by a WETT certified technician before issuing insurance. The insurance company will want to know that the wood burning appliance complies with current codes.
What is WETT?
Wood Energy Technology Transfer Inc. (WETT Inc.) is a non-profit training and education association managed by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by holders of valid WETT certificates. Through its administrative designate, WETT Inc. functions as the national registrar of the WETT program. Through professional training and public education, WETT Inc. promotes the safe and effective use of wood burning systems in Canada.
In carrying out its mandate to promote increased safety and effectiveness, WETT Inc. maintains the Wood Energy Technical Training program (WETT).
The program is designed to:
- provide training to those who offer wood energy products and installation and maintenance services to the public and to those who conduct inspections of wood burning systems,
- confirm and recognize the knowledge and skills acquired through field experience, self-study and successful completion of WETT courses by issuing certificates of qualification,
- provide training to specialty audiences as the need and demand arises.
Why should I use a WETT certified technician?
To have the full assurance that your wood-burning appliance is installed safely and in accordance with building and fire code requirements. Safety is paramount, and wood-burning appliances are manufactured to work safely and efficiently when they are installed, used and maintained properly.